Thursday, March 6, 2008

Rubbing my eyes in disbelief

After several weeks of staying off the trails, due to all the recent snow and rain storms, I hiked the lower portion of the EST and did a little bit of stewardship activity. The trail is actually in pretty good shape at this time. I picked up what little trash I found and moved to the side of the trail what little dead wood had fallen.

While hiking up the portion of the trail that goes from Elliot Street to the top of Chandler Hill I heard some rustling sounds about 75 feet to my right that I at first perceived to be other hikers that were going up the same hill but off the trail. As I turned in the direction of the sound I caught sight of a herd of five full size deer and I rubbed my eyes to make sure I was not imagining what I saw. Sure enough the deer were there and had spotted me about the same time that I spotted them. As a group they started moving away from me and started traveling at a measured and deliberate pace though the woods towards Bell Pond.

I had a camera in my pocket that I pulled out and was hopeful that I could get some photos to share with you all. Unfortunately, none of the photos came out. On, other occassions I've spotted several deer together in this same general local, but didn't consider it significant enough to comment upon. I am now determined to document this abundance of wildlife so I'll be staking out the area and will post photos as soon as they become available.



In the meantime enjoy the photo (below) of some other wildlife (a swan) that was spotted at Bell Pond on another occasion.





Regards
Trailblazer

3 comments:

Caretaker at the GWLT Lodge said...

A group of five deer in downtown Worcester!

Awesome!

And to think of the route required to get them from a forest to there....

I mean you'd think down from the North of the City along Quinsigamond and up along the Coal Mine Brook into Green Hill Park....

The connection from the South Grafton along the rail line and wildlife corridors that way leaves a tough spot from the rail line up the steep bank and across Shrewsbury Street.....

I vote for the northern access.

Regardless it is totally cool.

Anonymous said...

A herd of 6 deer was seen on Friday 2/22/08 heading across the 4th fairway of the golf course. The westerly extremes of Green Hill Park appear to be the residence of choice for a family of 4 deer - maybe all 6 - and have been observed quite frequently since late fall.

Anonymous said...

Today, 3/17, a friend and I came across a herd behind the barnyard farm about 4:45-5:00 PM. My friend, an experienced hunter, counted 8 to 10 flashes. I saw maybe 6 myself, although I am not as experienced. We had 4 dogs with us, so as you can imagine, the deer did not stick around. We tracked them across Skyline Drive, but never saw them again.